Sunday, February 15, 2009

One.

The preacher approached the microphone, sweat beading off his forehead. His face was set in a sort of sneer as he gripped the edges of the pulpit and began to scream. "You're supposed to be a Pentecostal church" he said, "But you worship like a bunch of Methodists!" The sermons I was used to hearing were accompanied by loud shouts of agreement, like “Amen!” “Hallelujah!” or “Preach it!” This day, however the sermon was accompanied by stony silence. How dare that man call us Methodists!

Growing up in the Church of God, I, like other kids, had learned to use the names of other denominations as insults. Those who didn't participate in church were deemed to be "back-row Baptists." People often said things like "I used to be Catholic, but now I'm a Christian," or "did you know that the pope is going to be the Anti-Christ?" I suppose I recognized that other denominations were technically Christian, but I knew that the heaven for Church of God people was a little better than the heaven for Presbyterians. It's funny, but I was never really led to think much about the one, holy, catholic (little 'c') church.


Then one day I noticed something. I was reading in the Book of John, and I noticed Jesus' final prayer for His disciples before being crucified. It takes place in chapter 17.


    20. "I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; 21. that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.

    22. "The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; 23. I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.


Jesus wants us to be one! I realized as I was reading this that Jesus, in this prayer to His father, was summing up His earthly ministry in one idea: unity.


I am a protestant. I like to protest. As an American I come by this trait honestly. However, as I examine my heart I realize that Christ has called us to something more. We like to stand on our rights, but Christ is calling us to stand on His love. We like to get our own way, but Christ is calling us to fight for His way (even when it means turning the other cheek). He calls us to be one as He and the Father are one. Then He goes to the cross and gives us the means by which to accomplish this impossible task of unity: grace. It is time for us to reach beyond denominational boundaries and our petty disagreements and do the work that Christ called us to do.

God, teach me to forgive as I have been forgiven. Teach me to love others the way You have loved me. Cause us to be One. Amen.

12 comments:

  1. Great stuff indeed Darrell. The opening made me cringe, as I've also sat under that same type of idiocy. It's tough to continue to accept that we are also One with the ones who put forward that type of elitist non-thinking, but they're part of this "beautiful mess" as well. I'm definitely grace-challenged in that area. Thanks for reminding me that I am One with people that I'd really prefer not to be One with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also can be grace-challenged. I have been thinking about the proper way of voicing disagreement and retaining the unity of the church. How do we go about bringing change to people who do not want change?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You start changing first. Then you join with others who want to change in the same direction. The options will be opened up. Leave the rest to the Holy Spirit. Sounds simple, huh?

    It all starts with Step 1...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As simple and as complex as grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good blog yo. It's easy for me to forget that our hard-headed brethren are still our brethren none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey..by hard headed bretheren, do you mean me?

    Dang, guys...dang.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, by hard-headed we mean you.

    Darrell, as far as bringing change to people who don't want change, I'm not sure that's what we're called to do, nor do I believe it's good stewardship of calling and the precious resources of time and creativity. Instead, I think we begin to seek out those connections where change is celebrated and desired and then let those connections become community, thereby bringing further fuel to the change movement.

    Those who don't want to change, we do our best to love them and continue to regard them as sisters and brothers. But change is too precious a thing to waste it on those without the imagination and wisdom to recognize its value. May God bless and keep them, but we need to keep moving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good point, Jerry. We focus on the things that we see, not on the things that others don't see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting first discussion darrell.
    i agree with with jerry about not wasting time on those who are hardened. when they are softened, they will seek change out.

    i hate hate. to me, that is all denominational regulations, names, titles, etc. are stemmed from. i understand that they were all (atleast i hope) trying desperately to get it right at first. but it seems to me that even good intentions should be weighed against grace and love and truth. even our good intentions are as a ticket to hell if the holy spirit does not guide them.
    sobering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also hate hate. I keep trying to weed it out, only to find I missed a spot. I think we all struggle with the desire to control others. That is a part of what keeps the denominations from reuniting. Those in power find it difficult to relinquish authority. Unity cannot exist without humility.

    ReplyDelete